Gray Gables Railroad Station
Gray Gables Station was built for the personal use of President Grover Cleveland during the years of his presidency of the United States, 1893 – 1896. Cleveland’s summer home in Bourne, Gray Gables gave both the Village and his personal station their names.
It was during the four year interim between his two non-consecutive terms as President that Grover Cleveland purchased the property from the Tudor family on Monument Neck in Bourne. The Bourne area had been recommended as a summer retreat by his friend, actor Joseph Jefferson, for its “good fishing”.
When Cleveland was elected in 1892, for a second term as president, Gray Gables became Cape Cod’s first summer White House. The depot had a direct telegraph line back to Washington. Two of the five Cleveland children were born at Gray Gables, and the family discontinued their residency in 1904.
For a time, the station was a flag stop, being used by Cataumet and Pocasset students to travel to the high school. It was moved to the Aptucxet Trading Post grounds in 1976.